Monday, December 29, 2008

New Year's Resolution

With 2008 now only a few days away from becoming history, I have been looking back at my life these past 12 months. Were the days that filled them good or bad? Was this is a good year for me? If my life in 2008 was a movie would it get a thumbs up or thumbs down? From a communication aspect, I give my life in 2008 a good review. Why? Did I write the definitive communication text or paper on this significant topic? No. Did I win any major award in the field? No. But I, like many others, did seek to advance the field and act of communication in an honest way.

Communication, like eating okra, is not for the faint of heart. It is messy, frustrating, and time consuming. Success is never guaranteed. Sometimes even the best intended communication efforts can make situations worse. Yet, at the same time, it is necessary for our personal growth and for the survival of our society. As a result, it needs to be promoted, practiced, and protected. The fact more people than ever are working as professional communicators is a good thing. This reality signifies an ever-growing awareness and recognition of the necessity of viable and effective communication. If any one thinks communication does not matter, then they should try getting through one day without it, even if it is a day they spend alone.

This brings me to my resolution for 2009. I will continue striving to be the best advocate for communication that I can. This blog is a piece of that. I will seek to make it more relevant and timely than it has been up till now. (I will also seek to generate a readership, which up till now I suspect consists of me.) But that aside, with over 35 professional years in the communication field and a growing realization that our world is more vulnerable and complex than ever, the bar of awareness and advocacy for communication must be raised. My resolution for 2009 is to help with that heavy lifting.

No comments: