Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Communicating With Zealots

More and more I am coming to the conclusion that we live in an age of zealotry. It seems every where one turns there are views being expressed that are absolute with no room for nuance, gray area or ambivalence. The only thing missing is people pounding their fist on the nearest table as they spout their opinions with total and uncompromising conviction on any number of issues. Turn on talk radio or many of the cable shows on television, for instance, and right before your eyes or ears is a full display of zealotry in action. People state their views with a straight forward conviction that I can only describe as fanatical.

From my own standpoint, I find this to be pretty impressive and amazing. I say that because if there is one thing about me as I get older that I have noticed, it is the fact I am becoming less certain about most everything. With annoying and increasing frequency, I find myself seeing various sides of an issue to the extent that I realize wisdom is often a lot more widespread than I had first thought. It does not belong to just me or anyone who agrees with me. Yet there are people on the air waves who are so insistent that only their views are both valid and accurate. Other views are simply dead wrong and forever will be.

Maybe certainty is on the rise because what we are seeing and hearing in the media teaches us that people who do not change their mind or adjust their thinking when circumstances change are more trustworthy or morally strong and, therebefore, better leaders. I pity the person who is ever labeled "flip flopper" even though inconsistency and flip flopping are part of what makes all of us human. Zealots are nearly impossible to communicate with. Their blind conviction, even if based on fact or reasonable bias, makes it extremely difficult for them to listen or be open minded to those with a different perspective. Ideally, all of us should possess a healthy degree of uncertainty that challenges us to learn more about various issues, yet reminds us that we need to keep an open mind to those who see things differently than we do.

No comments: