Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thank You to the Reminders of the World

I am writing this entry on Thanksgiving, 2011. One of the significant aspects of this day is that it marks the official beginning of our time of giving thanks. Ideally, of course, we should all be giving thanks throughout the year without needing to be reminded of it via a national holiday. It seems we are a nation of people who need gentle or sometimes not-so-gentle reminders about things we need to do or take care of. That could very well be the main reason the post-it industry is so successful. "Don't forget your doctor's appoitment today." "Don't forget to call your mother." "Don't forget junior has soccer practice this afternoon." "Don't forget to turn the oven on at 3:30 today." The reminders go on and on.

In my view, reminding others of things they need to do or, at least, not forget is an important communication skill. After all, none of us can remember everything. From time to time, for instance, I need to be reminded of upcoming doctor appointments. And then there's the matter of remembering everything I have been asked to pick up at the grocery store. Without question, I am a direct beneficiary of reminders. (Come to think of it. I probably need to be reminded of that every so often.)

My point on this great day of thanks is that I wish to give thanks to the people who do the reminding. They are the great helpers of the world; the ones who try to look out after others. Few things make us feel more grateful than being reminded of something we completely forgot. Yet, their job - if I may call it that - is a thankless one. Sometimes, without warning, reminders cross an invisible line and enter into the world of nagging, particularly when they remind somebody of something that the person has not forgotten. Still, they may get snapped at, but you can bet your juiciest drumstick that this will not stop them continuing to remind that same person who just snapped at them of something else in the future. I admire their perserverience and the fact they have planted their flag in a life of keeping others on track. Of course, then there's the matter of those who remind the reminders of things they forgot. But I'll try and write about them at another time. (I hope I don't forget.)

No comments: