Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dance of the Surrogates

As the 2012 election season draws to an end, everywhere we turn we as viewers of television, listeners of radio and readers of print media and the internet are being mercilessly bombarded with talking heads, spokespersons and advocates of one candidate over another, one issue over another. There is now less than a week to go till election day, so we just have to hang on a little while longer and all the surrogates will go away - at least for a little while. They will not be missed. I say that not because they do not know what they are doing, but because of the way they are doing their so-called job. It has been a disservice to themselves, their clients and to us.

I do not know any one who enjoys being talked at. I sure don't. I find it off-putting, insulting and disrespectful. I much prefer the back and forth that comes with respectful conversation even if the other person and I are not in agreement. Unfortunately, "talking at" is what so many of these surrogates do. Representatives of opposing candidates, for example, appear on a cable talk show and inevitably end up trying to out-shout or talk over the other until what we hear coming out of their mouths is little more than noise. There is no enlightenment or attempt at intellectual dialog. To compound the problem, far too many of the moderators seem to encourage this behavior under the false impression viewers and/or listeners enjoy it. 

Any one reading this who actually does enjoy the shout-fest that often occurs on these so-called news shows, would you please let me know and tell me what I missing here? I could use some meaningful enlightenment. It is my impression people tune into these shows to try and gain more information. But maybe I am wrong about that. Maybe they are like the moderators and enjoy watching grown men and women zing each other under the guise of being serious thinkers. I sure hope not.I think we as viewers, readers and listeners deserve better than this. Shame on those who apparently think we do not. 

No comments: