Sunday, March 24, 2013

Baby Steps

The older I get the more I realize how little any of us take giant steps. At times, of course, it may seem that way, but reality speaks otherwise. The last few days I have spent a good deal of time with my grand daughter. As I write this, she is not quite two years old.She is at the beginning stages of building a vocabulary - being able to identify various objects, communicate her thoughts, describe what she sees and wants. It is fun and exciting to watch, of course. But it is important to remember her progress is the result of the work of her parents, teachers and others with whom she interacts. Day by day, they have contributed to her growth.

I observe a similar dynamic in the communication classes I currently teach. In each one, I try to lead students in discussions on various aspects of public relations, communication and writing. At least from my perspective, they are making progress on incorporating various elements of each topic into their conversations and class projects. This growth, of course, is not just the result of my efforts, but in reaction to other communication classes they have and are taking. Nevertheless, it is growth that is exhibited weekly.While at the conclusion of the semester, the students' progress, upon first glance, may seem great. But truth is it has been incremental. 

These examples illustrate how communication works.When in results in progress, the great majority of the time that progress is in baby-steps. Whether the result is greater profits, increases in membership, an enhanced image or stronger community ties, these advances are not in "leaps or bounds" but over an extended period of time. Effective communication is not Superman-like. Rarely, if ever, is success measured in any other than inches as opposed to yards. This is the way it is with relationships, which helping establish and maintain is ultimate purpose of communication. That, I might add, is not a bad thing.

No comments: