Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Body Language

Non-verbal communication is never not a fascinating topic - at least for me. Looking at how people react without speaking to what is going on around them, for instance, can be a great source of fun. People being people can and do let loose with the greatest and most creative facial expressions, often times without realizing it. And then there is how they reposition themselves based on who or what is near them. At times, you would think they are auditioning to become a member of the cast of Cirque du Sole. Such communication often is quite telling in ways that old-fashioned words cannot be. Even more, body language can even trump verbal communication.

Recently, I had occasion to attend a speech in South Korea given by an executive. As the audience was comprised of Koreans, the speech was given in their native language. (I was the only non-Korea present though not the only one who spoke English.) The speech took place at the end of a business day and lasted nearly 45 minutes. In terms of content, even now, days after this happened, I am still not totally sure what the focus of the speech was other than it seemed to revolve around education and language. Approximately 25 men and women, not including me, were in the audience. Being present, at times I felt as if I were watching a foreign film without the sub-titles.      

So, how was the speech? Based on my own assessment of the audience members, my sense is was well received. Audience members seemed to be focused on the speaker and nod and even chuckle at various times as a result, I assume, of questions he raised or jokes he made. There was no sneaking looks at cell phones, checking of wrist watches, or, worst of all, dozing. At the same time, when the speaker finished, no one rushed up to the podium to ask questions. Without speaking, everyone made a bee-line for the door. Based on that, perhaps the audience was not as enthralled by what was said as I first concluded. To me, these mixed signals reinforced the notion that some times what we say does not always jive with what we do.       

No comments: