Wednesday, January 3, 2018

What is Best for Me?

With a new year now underway, I am struck by the many articles being written that focus on the our nation's 2016 presidential election. Commentators and experts are still putting forth theories as to why the election turned out the way it did. This, of course, serves as a springboard for them to speculate on the next presidential election and what candidates will need to do to appeal to various blocks of voters. My intent with this entry is not to add to all the pontificating. (You are welcome.) However, I will say that when it comes to voting, at the end of the day, people do so based on what they feel is in their best interest.

We do what we believe serves our own needs. What would make me the most safe? What would make me the happiest? What would make my life less stressful? What would give me the most emotional, physical or intellectual satisfaction?  How folks answer those and perhaps other fundamental questions very often determines how they are going to vote. This is not to say we do not factor in others when it comes to our choices. Without question, we do. But what we glean from those considerations is filtered through what we believe best serves us. What, we ask when we complete our internal processing, is best for me?     

What steps we take when we vote are not all that different from the ones we take when it comes to communicating. How best can I put forth my thoughts? How best can I share my feelings? What is the most effective way I can pass along the information I have? These and other fundamental questions are not all that different from the ones we review when deciding how to vote for a candidate. How we communicate is driven by our self-interest. Having said that, does this mean how we vote is always wise? Heck, no. Is how we communicate always effective or successful? No way. Given that, perhaps we should consider not putting so much weight on our self-interest, particularly when it comes to actions that affect others.

No comments: