Sunday, April 29, 2018

Tension and Resolve

As one who does not like tension, I must concede it can and does play a big role in helping all of be better communicators. Suppose, for example, I claim the best movie ever made was "Field of Dreams." If someone objects and says the greatest movie was actually "Casablanca," then I have the challenge of defending my opinion. I am pressured to articulate my thinking in a way that makes sense and possibly even sways the perspective of the one who disagrees with me. Such an exchange begins with the tension of having my view challenged. Resolution is sought in my attempt to ease or eliminate the tension.

A client wants people to buy their new product. Tension. Coming up with a cohesive plan to achieve the goal is the resolution. Should the plan fall short, then the tension mounts and more efforts are needed to resolve it. Resolution. As emotional features, we are often driven by our feelings. Tension is found in such a state regardless of whether the feeling is one of happiness, anger or frustration. We either like the feeling or wish to change it. Either way, there is tension in that just as one can identify efforts to attain resolution in successfully changing or maintaining the feeling. Constant struggle. Constant tension and resolution.

That conflict is as much apart of us as the fact we strive to breath each of our moments. With those breaths and without that struggle, we ease to be. As this is my view, then with that comes tension to try and resolve that tension. This blog entry, you might say, is one attempt to do that. To be the best communicators we can be, we need the challenge to be the champion of our own voice. For myself, it is nice to think I am undefeated in this regard. But the fact is I am not. That is reality. This perpetual struggle is one we all share. It is something not to be avoided as the struggle for resolution contributes to our growth.

No comments: