Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Keeping Anticipation In-Check

There are few things that get our hearts pumping than anticipation. These days, for many, it may be upcoming debates between presidential candidates. For others, it may be the thought of a home-cooked meal. Whatever is the "thing" that dominates our thoughts in looking ahead, there is little doubt it is a time of  high internal activity. In fact, the anticipation can be so intense that it may even overshadow the actual event or activity to which we were looking forward. It can also enhance whatever enjoyment we derive from the event or activity depending upon what it is and how satisfying it is to us.

When it comes to communication, however, anticipation is not always a good thing, particularly if we are unable to keep it in-check. What do I mean by that? Let's say we have an upcoming meeting with our boss. Let us also say we do not know exactly what it is the boss wants to discuss. I have been in situations like that and can attest to the reality that there is little else that I think about. Does the boss want to see me because I have done something wrong? Or have they called me in to sing my praises? To say the least, such a discussion is one I am highly anticipating. As a result, I have gone into those situations with multiple things to begin talking about so as to give the appearance of being prepared.

The same has held true with similar, upcoming encounters I have had with friends or relatives. Giving into my anticipation, I have often begun talking about things that have no relation to what my spouse or cousin or daughter wants to discuss. The result is I have come across as being more interested in my own agenda then what is my "partner" in the conversation wanted to talk over. This paints me as being self-absorbed and insensitive. The best tool against such moments is to keep one's feeling of anticipation in-check all successful encounters are ones in which all participants are committed to two-way interactions

No comments: