Sunday, February 16, 2020

A Lesson in Sensitivity

Before entering into a career in public and media relations, I worked for several newspapers as a general assignment reporter. My major as an undergraduate was journalism, so my ambition at the time was to track down stories, report the news and do my part to contribute to a well-informed society. My first newspaper job was in Clarksville, Tennessee. I worked there for over a year and, overall, found it to be enjoyable and a good learning experience. The second paper was located in Hagerstown, Maryland. I worked there a little over a year as well. After that, it was public relations all the way - a story I will save for another day.

A day before reporting to work at the paper in Maryland, the person I had been hired to replace died most tragically in a fire that consumed most of her apartment building. She was well-liked and respected by what were now my co-workers. It was a very emotional turn-of-events for all of them, which is probably why I was given the assignment of covering this story on the fire and the loss-of-life. Though I had never met her, I was very much aware of the heaviness of this story. The mood at the paper was quite grim. Everyone was downcast. It affected the attention that was given my coverage as well as how the others interacted with me those early days.

No one was rude or mean. However, at the same time, there was very much a distance between them and me. I could sense the people associated me with their former friend and colleague. Sitting at her desk, working on her computer, using her telephone, etc., I was a stark reminder of their loss. This situation required on my part a level of sensitivity that I was not expecting nor all that prepared for in terms of my own maturity. Looking back, I was able to navigate those early days by taking my cues from how the others behaved toward me. I had to adopt a certain way of communicating with them. It was a powerful lesson in listening that has stayed with me now for over 45 years.

No comments: