Saturday, August 1, 2020

Driverless Cars

No matter how many years I have clocked-in in this world, I have always gotten a special boot out of a new experience. Earlier this week I had one. I got to drive in a driverless car. No, I did not drive it, but then, in such a vehicle, I guess the whole point is that no one is actually the driver. Still, sitting in the front passenger seat as I did, I think that was close enough to the experience of sitting behind the steering wheel and not, uh, steering. My drive was not on any major highway. Instead, it was through a neighborhood that my friend - the owner of the car - took on our way to a nearby restaurant for lunch. Nevertheless, the car did "show-off" for us as it stopped at a traffic light, obeyed the speed limit, made a few turns, maintained a safe distance from other vehicles, and parked. All very impressive and, for a first timer, a bit nerve-wracking. After all, not being in-control in such a circumstance is not the easiest of adjustments. What would happpen, I wondered, if we rear-ended a car in front of us or ran a red light or hit a pedistrian? Who's fault would it be? Who would be held libel for such a mishap? My guess is the courts are addressing these basic questions right now as this new technology slowly becomes more popular. This is one more example of how technology allows us to relinquish control. Drivers in a driverless car are able to let-go of their responsibility. They simply punch-in their destination and literally leave the driving to the car. This will never happen when it comes to communicating with another. Yes, technology may speed-up the process and make it easier, but actually connecting with another and maintaining ties with them will always be up to us. Some may not like this, but I am definitley not one of them. Establishing and maintaining viable ties with others is a big part of what makes us human. We should never give up such a vital part of our humanity. In the meanwhile, who's up for a joy ride!

No comments: