Thursday, May 7, 2009

Benny Goodman and Communication

Not too long ago someone pointed out that when I talk about communication I seem to make a lot of analogies between it and music. I never really thought about it, but now that I do I have to agree. The reasons are simple: I love both and see each as being universal. This leads me to the late, great Benny Goodman. Goodman was an outstanding jazz and classical clarinetist and a real giant in American popular music, particularly in the first half of the twentieth century. Besides being a great musician, one of the reasons for this is he was a genuine pioneer in paving the way toward the integration of big bands, orchestras, and smaller ensembles. As a person, Goodman was also a shy, introverted individual. And this leads me to a story about Benny Goodman and his connection with communication.

One time at a celebrity function in the 1940s, while everyone was partying after a benefit concert in which Goodman and his group participated, Goodman was off in a corner by himself softly running scales on his clarinet. One of his peers came over to urge Goodman to put down his instrument and join the others for drinks. Goodman nodded but kept playing. Finally, the other person asked, "Benny, how come every time I see you, you are always practicing?" Goodman stopped playing and said, "I keep practicing so on those days when I am not great, I'll at least be good."

This very much applies to communication. All of us communicate every day in many different ways, of course. But the reality is from time to time none of us communicate as well as we should. We are flawed. We get flustered. We misread our audience. The proper words do not quite come to mind. The reasons are endless. But this is no way compromises the importance of communication, nor does it represent reasons why we should not continue to keep trying to communicate with others as effectively as we can. Like Benny Goodman, we need to keep practicing every day because not every time we speak or act or write we are going to be great. But if we practice enough, we'll at least be good.

No comments: