Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Classic Readings

I consider myself an avid reader. Given the choice between being outside and reading, I tend to lean toward finding a comfortable chair and reading. More often than not, however, particularly if it is a sunny day out, I settle into a lawn chair outside and read. Why not go for the best of everything? For a number of years now my tastes in literature has heavily leaned toward current non-fiction books sprinkled with current fiction. While I do not regret anything I have ever read, I will concede there are some books that have not always rung a bell with me. One recent tome I did enjoy immensely is a new biography of Cornelius Vanderbilt called "The First Tycoon" by T.J. Stiles. My crystal ball reveals some some literary awards in Mr. Stiles' future as a result of his fine work.

Lately, however, I have begun focusing on some outstanding works I have missed over the years, ones I consider to be classics that nearly everyone with some degree of literary knowledge has at least heard of. A couple of examples of what I am talking about are Melville's "Moby Dick" and Salenger's "Catcher in the Rye." While I have read those two particular classics, there are many I have not read. Examples of ones I have missed are Huxley's "Brave New World" and Dosttoevsky's "Crime and Punishment." Shame on me. Further more, I have no one to blame for this literary whole in my resume but me. There, I said it. I resolve myself to do something about it.

A few days ago I began reading William Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury." As I write this I am approximately one-third of the way through what many consider to be Faulkner's most notable work. I must say I am loving this man's lyrical way with words. And if that wasn't enough, it is also a good story. I am embarking on this personal quest for several reasons: (1) I want to expose myself to works of communication that represent the best of their kind; and (2) Perhaps this kind of interaction will help me in my efforts to be the best kind of communicator I can be in my daily connections with others. My feeling is it is one way of raising the level of my own "game."

No comments: