Saturday, August 15, 2009

That Toddlin' Town

A few days ago I was invited to participate in the fall conference of the National Association of Communicators in Chicago. I was asked to be one of several doctoral students to participate in a panel discussion on our experiences in our various programs. I am very excited. First of all, I have never been to Chicago but have always wanted to see it up close and personal. Secondly, I find being asked to speak to anyone about most anything to be very flattering. Fortunately, there will be others on the panel to carry the ball so it won't just be me having to be interesting, entertaining and informative all at the same time. Nevertheless, I am still going to have come up with somethings to say that hopefully will add to and not detract from the discussion. Full disclosure: A few years ago I participated in a panel discussion at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on the challenges of working with national media to promote a university. I was not pleased with my performance.

Speaking before a room full of people is always a challenge. Even though I have been teaching part-time for over ten years, it is not something with which I feel all that comfortable. Whether it is in a room full of students or professionals, being prepared is the key. I may have a bunch of information floating around in my head, but if I have not properly organized what I want to share and how I want to engage the audience, then my presentation is a struggle. Looking back at my experience at the National Press Club, I do not believe I was as prepared as I should have been. It was a good communication lesson for me: knowing one's stuff is not enough to guarantee you will be able to share it effectively.

But to get back to Chicago, the opportunity to go there is very exciting. Even though it may be very cold there in November, I am prepared to brave the elements and do all I can to check out as much of this classic city as I can. Michigan Avenue. The art museum. The people themselves. Maybe even sneak into a jazz club or two. It is all about gaining new experiences, which, of course, add to one's tool box as they seek to communicate well with others. This new experience for me is still several months away, which is good because it gives me plenty of time to prepare myself. If I do well, then for the duration of this upcoming panel discussion at least, I'll be an effective communicator.

No comments: