Friday, December 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

It is now Christmas Day and I wish everyone a very happy and safe and warm holiday. I do not see myself being all that different from many others on this day in the sense it fills me with gratitude, reflection, hope and affection for others. Almost by definition, Christmas day is a good day and I hope it's that way for others, too. I recognize not everyone celebrates Christmas the same way, nor does everyone even believe in it the way I do. And that's ok. As this blog revolves around communication, I wish to devote this particular entry to this vital topic. Specifically, I want to recognize the role communication can and does play in helping foster tolerance.

Communication, at its best, is a two-way encounter. Listening and talking. Talking with, not talking at. Conducting extensive research on one's intended audience. Learning of their needs, hopes, concerns and interests and then framing messages and conversations that speak to them. Not catering to audiences or simply saying whatever it is you think they might wish to hear. Speaking truth. Speaking to them and not over them. Being honest and respectful. Working to establish ties that bind and remain bound. Recognizing that all of us have much more in-common than not and, consequently, seeking ways to build on those commonalities rather than exploit or sensationalize differences.

These are the goals and actions of what I consider to be good communicators. And those are the kind of results that I believe communication, at its best, can bring about. It all adds up to tolerance. Yes, we have differences. And, yes we have different perspectives and attitudes. But, ideally, none of that should lead to ill-feeling or disharmony. Obviously, in many parts of the world, including our own imperfect country, those things exist just as there are people who seem to devote their energies to doing all they can to creating friction and discontent. These people are hate mongers and shame on them for making the choices they make. My hat, then, goes off to the communicators who seek to build even though they do not always succeed and even though their efforts at times fall short. Nevertheless, thank you for being good communicators and for helping to spread tolerance.

No comments: