Wednesday, May 5, 2010

No News is Not Always Good News

There is an old saying that goes like this: "no news is good news." We have all heard it. I have even used it from time and time and maybe you have, too. But this declarative statement is one with which I have never been comfortable. Recently, I came to the realization why: because it is not necessarily true. "No news" suggests that nothing bad has happened or otherwise we would have been told. Really? A few days ago my wife and I went to movie. We sat there chowing down on our popcorn, enjoying the film and feeling content that we were not being interrupted with so-called news from the outside world. It was not till after we got home when my wife noticed that our parked car had been nicked by another driver. That "no news" was not good. And just yesterday I learned that one of my favorite relatives has been dealing with prostrate cancer for the past six months. Fortunately, he is doing very well but that "no news" was not good either.

Even though living under a false notion that things are good or I would have heard or been told about it added some level of bliss to my life, I have now come to the conclusion that I want to know about stuff that goes on even if that information is upsetting or negative in some way. Ignorance may be bliss in some situation, but that does not make it a good thing, nor something I particularly want. I like knowing things. Further, I do not believe I am alone with that sentiment. While I do not know who originated another old saying, "knowledge is power," but whoever did first come up with it really hit the bullseye in terms of identifying a key ingredient that can and does give us all greater contentment based on fact rather than assumption.

Communicators can and should keep this mind in terms of helping those they represent maintain good relations with others. Just because nothing has changed, for instance, does not mean that is not valid information to share. It is even helpful letting people know that life is status quo. An example of that is my own daughter. I had not connected with her in awhile. During the course of our conversation she said she would have let me know if there were any big changes in her life. I replied by reminding her that even letting me know her life remains on-track is important and, above all, helpful. It also further cements the bond between us. For she and I and, I believe, everyone, communication is all about continuing to secure ties that bind.

No comments: