Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Boredom

I think the state of boredom has been given a bum rap over the years. I understand, by definition, it is not fun. I am also well aware that almost universally whenever people talk about it, they present it in a negative light - as if they are confessing a secret. Usually, people announce they are in this state with a heavy sigh, a roll of the eyes, or by falling backwards onto a pillow. This declaration is almost always followed by either a look of frustration or self pity as if feeling bored is something that has been forced upon them. How come people don't react that way when they are experience feelings such as joy, curiosity or contentment? Why can't people take ownership of feeling bored in the same way they do those and other feelings?

With the right attitude, boredom can actually be a good thing. In an environment when many of us of all ages are bouncing from one responsibility or activity to another, boredom represents a time out; an opportunity to reflect on where we are at that moment and what we might want to do next. In that sense, then, it can be a time of activity and self-challenge: "I am bored right now but when can I start doing so I won't be unbored five minutes from now?" If you think about it, that's a pretty imposing question. It can almost make being bored a safe haven from the challenge of having to make a choice or be creative or proactive. Besides, if one really is committed to doing nothing at any given moment, then what better mental state to be in than one of boredom?

Full disclosure: I do not find writing about boredom to be boring. It's actually kind of fun. I was not feeling bored at the time I began this entry and I know I am not going to be feeling that way any time soon after I am done. Generally, I am reluctant to let others know those times when I am feeling bored. But as I reflect on this particular state of being, I am coming to believe there is no need for anyone to feel shy, embarrassed or upset about this feeling. It is normal and, even more importantly, an opportunity to enter into activity that is productive and fun. What could be worth communicating more than that?

No comments: