Saturday, May 7, 2011

Something to Brag About

I wish to devote this entry to bragging about myself. As some in my life know, I recently completed and successfully defended my dissertation and, as a result, earned a PhD in communication. Yes, this is exciting, a proud moment, and the culmination of a dream I have had for nearly thirty years. Bottom line: it feels great. But that is not what I wish to brag about. Far from it. In the "morning after" glow of this time in my life, more and more I am struck by the reality that so many people played a vital role in helping me cross the finish line on this all-consuming effort. In some cases, a number of these people were paid to do so as they were my instructors. All were good, engaging, stimulating, and vital to this journey. But there were also a number of people who weren't paid for their efforts but nevertheless pitched in with their time, expertise and moral support. All were inspiring, extremely kind and patience, generous with their time, and equally vital.

Because of all these men and women, my dissertation was a group effort. These people suggested ideas on how I might pursue my topic. They gave me guidance on the best ways to package the data I collected. They gave me help on how best this information should be organized. They led me through the formatting challenges of the overall paper. They reviewed my data to see if the conclusions I drew from it were logical. They read my document as it evolved and gave me invaluable feedback and insights on the entire work. All did this more than once. And as I crossed the finish line, they all cheered as if this was my accomplishment and my accomplishment alone. Nothing could be more wrong. I may be listed as the author but their fingerprints are on my dissertation and, for that matter, the degree itself.

What I wish to brag about is how blessed I am to be part of such a group of wonderful people. If we are judged by the company we keep, then, at least in this situation, I am as lucky as I am special. I had a dream and so many others - some I did not even know until the journey was underway - helped make it a reality. This realization is humbling. It also leads me struggling for words that adequately represent the depth of my gratitude. As I write this entry, my struggle continues. I close with this thought: as I move forward in and outside the field of communication, I will do my best to live up to the ideals all of these people communicated to me.

No comments: