Friday, August 5, 2011

Active Engagement

The other day I listened to two friends talk about their involvement with fantasy football leagues each was in. I am not going to pretend I understand precisely how this activity works as I have never participated in one. However, I do know a wide number of fantasy leagues pertaining to many of the major sports exist. They attract a great many sports fans who take these enterprises very seriously. Even though I did not completely understand all my friends were saying, I found the conversation fascinating because of their passion and wide range of knowledge. Each seemed to know what they were talking about and did so in a way that made me ponder actually joining one of these leagues some day.

But whether I do or not is beside the point here. These two people were and are actively engaged in their relationship with their teams, their leagues, other participants, and the overall activity itself. The result is their level of enjoyment is exceedingly high and the "sport" itself is the far better for it. This is a good lesson for all, including those of us working in the communication field. For years I have considered communication to be a relationship science. It revolves around connections. As communicators, we strive to create them and then seek ways to keep them strong and lasting.

My question is this: what can we, as communicators, bring to the table to help make us as successful as we can be and to be the greatest help to those we represent? The answer is found in the conversation between my two fantasy football league friends. Active engagement is the key. While I have no doubt my two friends make mistakes in the course of their team's season, I also am quite certain their sense of fun and level of commitment also makes their efforts successful. If the two were real owners of real teams, I am sure their teams and players would come out ahead regardless of how many games they won or lost each season. Effective communication is more about passion than it is about perfection. For inspiration, look no further than my two friends.

No comments: