Friday, December 9, 2011

My Tom Wicker Lesson

Recently, Tom Wicker, the former Pulitzer Prize winning columnist with the New York Times, passed away. In the world of journalism, Wicker was definitely a giant - as a reporter and commentator. I mention his passing because of what I feel is a kindness he extended me many years ago. Wicker had just written a book on the riots at Attaca State Prison in New York. In it, Wicker was critical of how then-Governor Nelson Rockefeller handled the incident. I was a teenager then, but nevertheless was interested in the subject matter, so I bought the book and read it. One thing I was curious about, after reading it, was how Rockefeller behaved toward Wicker the next time the two crossed paths after the book's release.

Not really sure if I would get a response, I wrote Wicker a hand-written note asking my question. Even now, I recall not expecting to ever get anything back and feeling a bit foolish about writing a man who, to me, was famous and important. Several weeks passed and much to my surprise came a letter to me with The New York Times return address on the envelope. I cautiously opened it and, sure enough, was a hand-written note back from Wicker with a brief answer to my question. I did not save the note, nor do I remember Wicker's exact words. But what has stayed with me all these years is the fact this nationally-renown writer took a few moments from his day to write me back. I remain very touched.

My memory of what Tom Wicker did reinforces the notion that even the simpliest acts of communication can sometimes really go a long way. To him, it probably took less than a minute and was quickly forgotten. But, to me, it has lasted most of a lifetime. The lesson I have taken from it is that as best we can we must take all of our acts of communication as seriously as possible because they can make a surprising difference to others. I never met Wicker in person, so I really do not know if he was a truly good man. Yet when I do think of him, that is how I imagine he was throughout his life: kind and thoughtful. At least that is how he was to me. And that is how I try to be when I communicate to others.

No comments: