Wednesday, January 25, 2012

More About Promises

The other day I received an email from a communication agency inviting me to register for a workshop on "writing memorable copy." I confess that for a few minutes I was intrigued by this opportunity. Who among us would not want to learn to turn whatever we write into something that others will actually remember; something that will become timeless; or something that perhaps will be quoted or referenced long after we are gone? I know I would like that. Instead of writing my wife a typical post-it that I have gone to the grocery store, perhaps with the help of this workshop I could learn to write that same note in a way that strengthens our relationship.

Even I have to agree that my post-its are not memorable. To be honest, I sometimes wonder if the are even read. The same goes for my emails, the occasional press release I put together, or speeches I write. To be fair, more often than not, what I do compose is usually pretty good. Certainly acceptable. But memorable? I think not. At least, after all these years in communication, I have yet to hear of or have any one quoting me. While that would be pretty awesome, I also think the chances of that happening are virtually nonexistent. This is not modest speaking. Rather, it is reality.

My point here as it applies to communication is any one in the profession, including agencies, need to be very careful regarding results they claim to guarantee and promises they make. The fact is communicators cannot guarantee anything. I know doing so is tempting just as I know doing so is a great way to attract potential clients and please one's organizational superiors. But making promises is also unethical, according to the Public Relations Society of America. Instead of promising people to teach them how to write copy that is memorable, the communication agency would have been better off offering to teach communicators how to write copy that is understandable and speaks to the needs of specific publics. That is much more realistic.

No comments: