Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Writer's Block

Everyone has heard of writer's block. Even those who do not consider themselves to be writers know of it. In fact, it is very likely they may have experienced it at some point in their lives, We all have, whether it is with actual writing or another aspect of life. Everyone gets stuck, hits a wall or finds themselves in a slump that seems to prevent them from making progess or taking some type of action. In the case of writers, there are times one feels as if they cannot think of what words to write. The writer sits at their computer or typewriter, staring at the keyboard and hoping that somehow or  some way words will reappear.

Without question, those times are frustrating. If they continue too long, these unwanted stretches can be demoralizing and ignite feelings of genuine despair. Fortunately, in my case, I have never had this experience. While there have been times when I have been hard-pressed to come up with particular words I was searching for or phrases I felt would best capture what I was trying to say, I have yet to find myself in the kind of hole others have. Still, it is something I find myself thinking about as I move toward the next phase of my life where I will be writing more as a way of supplementing my income. For me, retirement approximately six months away now. It is no coincidence I am beginning to spend more time in front of my computer's keyboard.

So, what is the cure for writer's block? Does any one know? Is there a universal strategy for not only coping with it but blasting through it? Is it even possible to write when one can not even think of what to say? I suspect in the mnths to come I may possible get a taste of that. At this moment, my only suggestion for dealing with writer's block is to keep writing even if the words you put down on paper are not the ones you want. Other, more prolific and experienced writers may view my suggestion as being completely naive or far too simplistic. They are probably right. Either way, I hope to not find out the hard way.

No comments: