Wednesday, January 6, 2016

To the Rescue!

Recently, for what feels like a million times before, I was filling my car up with gas. For some reason, however, I could not get the pump to work properly. Finally, I had the attendant come out and show me that the handle on the "regular gas" selection first needed to be lifted before any gas could flow. (For some inexplicable reason, it never occurred me to lift that handle - even though I have done that many times before. Looking back, perhaps this was my first "senior moment." If so, I am sure it will be the first of many.) For me, the problem was a puzzle. To the attendant - and now to me - the solution was very simple.


This little, inconsequential episode was a reminder that sometimes the heaviest problems can be addressed with the lightest of touches. The trick is to find someone with the patience and know-how to offer up a solution in a way that is understandable. This is where effective communication comes into play. In the case of me at the gas pump, the attendant did very little talking. Instead, with a huff, he came out and lifted the handle. Fortunately that was enough to show me what I was not doing. But had the so-called problem been more complex, it is unknown whether the attendant would have had the knowledge or skills to explain to me what was going on.


Regardless of the attendant's temperament, helping others did with things that frustrate them is not easy. The person facing the dilemma is often either upset or becoming increasingly frustrated (as I was), so the challenge for the person with a solution is two-fold: provide the expertise to address the situation at-hand; and share that information in a way that is understandable and helps the aggrieved become less anxious and upset. This is not always easy as people who are upset and/or frustrated are not always at their best. My experience at the gas station serves as a tiny reminder of how vital effective communication is during times of stress. 


 

No comments: