Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Highway of Life

All of us on our own journey. All of us travel along our own personal highways. Each of these thruways contain an array of detours, distractions, directional signs, exits, rest stops and many other highway metaphors that represent the stops and starts and wrong and, yes, even right turns we all make during the course of our lives. Life certainly is a journey and, hopefully, one that is more fulfilling and rewarding than not for all of us. As part of the traveling we all do, there is a multitude of communication opportunities that, collectively, play a significant role in defining how positive or not our time on Earth is.   


Those communication opportunities include such moments as how we interact with others, how we represent ourselves to others, and how we receive or process what is communicated to us. These challenges are ones we all share though how well do with each and how fond we are of how others do with their opportunities often varies. For instance, I am not always pleased with how well I do when it comes to communication and I definitely am not always thrilled with others in their attempts to connect with me or others. To give one quick example, people who talk over others will never make my personal list of favorite things.   


Also, I do not like it when people finish another's sentences. I understand that is supposed to indicate a sign of closeness, which people view as a good thing. While I am all for closeness, I believe people are capable of completing their own thoughts and sentences and should be allowed to do so. This is not to say that I am not guilty of talking over others or completing another's sentence. From time to time I also tend to not listen to others nearly as well as I should. My point in all this is not to disclose my many communication imperfections. Rather, it is to acknowledge that just as all of us travel life's highway, as part of that we also exhibit many of the same flaws when it comes to something that matters greatly.

No comments: