Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Image Making

My first job out of college was working as a reporter for a small newspaper in Clarksville, Tennessee. The circus was coming to town. My editor suddenly had this brilliant idea for a fun feature story. The result was one of my very first story assignments: a first-person account as to what it is like being a circus clown. We talked with the folks at the circus and got their permission for me to get dressed up in costume and follow the "real" clowns around. I even got to participate in one of their sketches. I remember the experience as being fun. Also, I was struck at the way many of the young children reacted to me. They seemed almost awestruck at my presence.

The children never knew how nervous I was. Being dressed in costume, including white-face make-up, flowery outfit, whig, big shoes, hat and red nose, made me the center of attention for each child I encountered. To say the least, that was not something that ever happened when I was normally dressed in my everyday clothes. As a clown, I was being something I was not. I was communicating a certain image that was counter to what I normally projected. The circus, of course, was and is expert at creating illusion and imaginary fun. For that Saturday matinee performance, I was a figure that represented silliness and slapstick humor.

It is not uncommon for professional communicators to create particular images for their clients. Through such tools as words and staged events, they can make persons seem such things as morally strong, wise, caring, decisive, knowledgeable and approachable even if none of those things are actually true. My being a clown was harmless enough. But creating false impressions is serious business. It can lead people to making wrong choices that ultimately has dire consequences. Such power for that communicator is intoxicating. But it is a power that one should resist. Illusion should not replace reality, nor should deception ever be what drives one's work as a communicator.

No comments: