Saturday, September 10, 2016

Adjusting to New Surroundings

All of us, especially me, have a tendency to adapt to or settle in with our surroundings. Even if they may be less than ideal, we adjust and, in doing so, establish some sort of routine as part of becoming compatible with our environment. It is part, I believe, of our need to establish and then cling to a zone of comfort that helps us navigate our way through each of our days. Since spring of 2014, for example, I have lived in South Korea for part of each calendar year. In fact, I am living and working in Incheon right now and will do so for the remainder of this year and in all likelihood beyond. It has been an adjustment.

But, at least for me, the good news is the challenging of adjusting has not been near nearly as great as I first feared. Relocating to life in a country situated on the other side of the world from my home was a major concern. How would the people be? Would I feel isolated? How difficult would it be for me to be separated from family and friends? These were just a few of the many basic questions I had in switching to living in America to the Far East. In a nutshell, yes, it has been an adjustment, but the good news is the transition has been far less stressful and difficult than I feared. The primary reason  for this is found in one word: communication.

The ability to communicate or connect with others has been due to several important reasons: the kindness of so many of the folks in South Korea, the fact many of them speak English, and my accepting the reality that I am a new guy in town and, as a result, require the assistance and patience of others. This kind of openness has helped me establish my needed comfort zone as well as make connections with others, a number of which have become quite important to me. In my view, this has occurred as a direct result of honesty between us. I do not know much and need help and others are happy to share their knowledge in a friendly manner. Such communicating is making for a very happy experience.


No comments: