Thursday, March 16, 2017

Communicating With Those in a Bubble

In recent years when one hears commentary on national issues, the word "bubble" is used a lot. So-and-so is in a bubble or those of one kind of political persuasion or another "live in a bubble." The terms connotes the idea that, intellectually, one is purposely closed-minded when it comes to exposing themselves to new information that might run counter to perceptions or understanding they may have already have. Often, this seems to be particularly as it pertains to specific issues or concepts. Global warming, Planned Parenthood or the rights of gays, lesbians and transgender individuals would be examples of this.   

Without question, all of us love the comfort of our own perspective. How we see things, obviously, is clear to us. We go to bed each night with an opinion and without question wake the next day very happy to see that view has not budged one bit. Does that mean we are in a bubble? Maybe. Does it also mean that we are unwilling to ever step aside that bubble? Maybe but not necessarily. My own sense is people are open to wrapping themselves in a new way of seeing things if they can be convinced their old view is no longer viable. The trick is in connecting with bubble-dwellers in a way that makes those folks want to consider a different perspective.

Make no mistake. This is not an easy thing to do. For example, I am very comfortable with the notion that red M&Ms taste better than any other color and that is all there is to it. Good luck with trying to make me think otherwise. Attempting to do so would be a major communication challenge. But notice I used the word "major" rather than "impossible." Such is the case with many others living in a self-imposed bubble. Validate my opinion. Assure me that you do not think I am ignorant or an idiot. Give me facts. Do so with respect. Do not make me believe I am a bad person. If a communicator can do all this, then they stand a good chance of getting me to revisit the taste of M&Ms.    

No comments: