Saturday, May 6, 2017

Legacy

Why do we communicate? Why do we write? Heck. Why do we do anything? Sure, in large part, actions we take are often driven by the moment. We feel hunger, so we eat. We desire company, so we seek friends. We feel tired, so we rest. But I also believe our actions are, at times, driven by a larger purpose. Steps we take are motivated by something more than simply responding to what is in front of us. Perhaps this is an age-thing, but lately I find myself assessing my day-to-day steps or movements and, as a result, am trying to steer myself toward might be viewed as a higher purpose in what I do.

For instance, over the past few years I have been fortunate enough to have nine books published. Most of them have been communication-related textbooks. One was a humor book. In early 2018, I am slated to have my tenth book published as well as a second edition of an earlier textbook. (This tenth book is a children's book.) I am very proud of all that. Also, I am extremely pleased as these books represent successful efforts on my part to have thoughts of mine and information I have gathered given a certain degree of permancy. Collectively, years from now, they will confirm that I existed. I like that very much.

All those represent part of my legacy. Whether or not it is true, I like to believe a sign of maturity is embracing the reality that our actions, including how and what we communicate, represent our part of the world's evolution. On some level, our daily steps touch others and, therefore, shape the direction of those others and, generally, our world. For me, I try hard to make my steps ones that are positive. Going back to my books, it is a big reason why I made a point I'd dedicating each one to specific persons I hold most dear. It is, at least to me, a legacy-thing. I realize others may not agree with this perspective. It is ok if most don't. Still, it is something I wanted to share.

No comments: