Friday, June 23, 2017

Dentists

Stand back everyone. I am about to do something that few have ever tempted before. I am going to give a shout-out to dentists. You heard me right. I am going to complement the nearly 196,000 practicing dentists in the U.S. today. Do not try to talk me out of it, especially because when it comes to communication they deserve it. Think about it. This is a group of professionals that nobody - not even their families - want to see. In fact, it is not unusual for folks to postpone seeing the dentist as long as they can or, for some, avoid seeing altogether. As they developed a reputation of being very expensive and making people of all ages feel uncomfortable, it is no wonder they never come close to being at the top of peoples' list of folks who are most admired.  

Given that, generally, dentists do great work. And they do it under challenging circumstances. First of all, there is the technical end of their job. Secondly, whether they are pulling or cleaning teeth, filling a cavity or performing a more complicated procedure, their "audience" is one that could be described as being hostile or, at the least, present-with-reservation. Then there is the matter of explaining to their patient what exactly needs to be done in a way that is understandable, non-threatening and reassuring. None of that is easy when communicating with a person who is in all likelihood not in the best frame to listen as well as they should.

In my lifetime I have spent far too many hours at the dentist. In fact, as I write this I have several what I would term heavy-duty appointments coming in the next few weeks. Yet as a result of the sensitive and forthright way in which my dentists explained what needs to be done, I am not feeling nearly as stressed as I might be otherwise. The work that dentists do goes beyond behind their "work." They are also in the communication business in a very real way. For dentists, if they do not do this aspect of their job well, then what follows is much more difficult. So, high-five to all the men and women who tell us to sit back and open wide.

No comments: