Thursday, July 27, 2017

Disney World vs Trump World

As I write this, I am spending a week with family at Disney World in Florida. At the same time, I have been doing my best to follow the news of the day so as not to fall too far behind on what is going on in and with our country. With almost each passing moment, I am struck by the stark differences between the land of Mickey Mouse and his counterpart, President Trump. Before I go too far with this, I realize so much within Disney World is geared toward perpetuating unreal visions as seen with the number of folks wearing mouse ears, for instance, and that the United States as directed by President Trump is "real life."

Here at Disney World, I am struck at how friendly, engaging and eager to help employees at all levels are. They give the impression they are here to serve and make our lives as stress-free as possible. From my perspective, they are doing a great job. In Trump world, however, there is constant bickering, threats, name-calling, and disenfranchment underway. Trump's message via actions and words seem to be geared toward exclusivity. Ironically, Trump himself as President is supposed to be our ultimate public servant. Yet there he is on national television ordering reporters to leave events and taking away the rights of those not to his liking.

So, what is the take-away here? Should Trump World be more like Disney World? Of course. But, to me, a bigger question is why do we allow it? The two entities communicate opposite messages that are stark in their attitudes, goals and values that drive them. While Disney World promotes fantasy, it is very much tied to reality in terms of being profit-driven. I have no problem with that just as I have no problem with Trump trying to be a good leader. Sadly and tragically, his style is awful and seems to be hate-driven. He seems to be motivated by a lesser vision. Disney, at least, strives to promote a more positive message.

No comments: