Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Finishing Each Other's Sentences

I admit that I make this entry with the full realization that upon reading it, folks will be tempted to label me as a cynic, an unromantic, or a real fuddy-duddy. To all that and more, I acknowledge your reaction and even see the logic of it. Still, I stick to my guns. I find the act of finishing another person's sentences to be annoying and wish people would not do it. (Full disclosure: I do it from time to time with my spouse and always admonish myself (to myself) when I do.) There are several reasons for my attitude. One is that I see it as an act of rudeness. A person is talking and suddenly, without invitation, the person with whom they are speaking interjects what they believe to be the thoughts or words of the speaker. How do they know what the speaker is going to say? Why not wait and find out?

The second and, to me, most important reason for having such a distaste for this act is that it is a blatant act of non-listening. Here's the scene: two people are talking. One begins talking about, say, what they did over the weekend. After awhile, he says, "Then I had to go to the store and......." He is suddenly interrupted when the other person interjects,".........some more cold slaw, baking soda and coffee beans." At this point, the conversation goes either one of two ways: The initial speaker concurs or has to correct what was just suggested. Either way, when that occurs, it makes for an awkward moment. It also knocks off balance the rhythm of the conversation.

I understand not everyone is as engaging when they talk as we might like them to be. They can be repetitive, dull and even confusing. Nevertheless, being an effective communicator requires active listening. This is because none of us are mind readers. Also, regardless of how close we might to that person, as Professor Nicholas Epley, a behavioral scientist, reported in his 2014 book, "Mindwise," often times we do not know what the person with whom we are conversing is going to say or what words they are going to use. Trying to finish their sentences is a crap shoot. In other words, exercise some patience and let that other person complete their thoughts or stories. It is better for you, them, and the overall exchange.

No comments: