Sunday, March 31, 2019

Building on Descartes

This particular entry comes on the birthday of Rene Descartes, the French philosopher and mathematician, Descartes was born in 1596 and died in 1650. Perhaps his most famous quote was, "I think; therefore I am." Such a straightforward pronouncement speaks to what Descartes believed to be the one act that people cannot fake: thinking thoughts. What ruminates around in all of our heads establishes us not just as living entities but distinguishes us as the individuals we are. We think thoughts that are unique because they come from us. Many of us may like cherry pie, but the initial declaration that each of us make in that regard is ours and ours alone.

I recognize the logic of Descartes' statement. No question thoughts contribute to our uniqueness in a world in which people, regardless of their backgrounds and characteristics, share much in common. Speaking of Descartes on his special day, I got to thinking about building on his famous quote, yet applying it to communication. Specifically, think about the following statement: "I speak; therefore I communicate." Does that, too, hit the bulls-eye of logic much in the way that Descartes' famous quote does?  My answer to this question depends upon how one defines communication. For instance, does the making of virtually any sound constitute communication?

I lean toward viewing communication in a broad sense in that an exchange with another is required before true communication has occurred. I do not believe that sitting alone in a house and talking out loud constitutes communication. One needs a response before it can be said communication has transpired. Having ourselves as an audience does not fit my definition of communication. I view communication as a social act. As a result, trying to equate my earlier statement with what Descartes stated hundreds of years ago does not work. Hopefully, however, it gives more clarity to communication as an act of self-expression and outreach.



No comments: