Friday, August 16, 2019

Milestones

I like milestones. In fact, one might even say I collect them. Birthdays and anniversaries are easy ones. So, too, are holidays. I take note of all of them, of course, but I also tend to make special note of other, less notable days on the calendar. For instance, I view the beginning of a new month as a milestone. The same goes for the start of a new week and, to a lesser extent, the start of a new day. This particular day, by itself, is not all unique to me other then it represents a block of time that has never happened before. Consequently, I see it is a milestone. Most anything that represents a beginning falls under my broad definition of "milestone."

I understand others may view this as silly and the musings of a person with a lot of time on their hands. Maybe. But even with that, I am sucker for most anything that represents the turning of a new page or metaphoric stepping into a new room. One never really knows what is behind the curtain. For me, that unknown represents the possibility of something positive. Turn the corner and something wonderful may be waiting with open arms. There are few things in life greater than the anticipation of that possibility. Possibly that is why I find the concept of purchasing lottery tickets - something I do not do all that often - so understandable.

Most every day most of us interact with folks that we connect with on a daily basis. My guess is the conversation we have is nearly a repeat of the one we had with them the day before. The result is a boring or less than stimulating exchange that has all the energy of a badly dehydrated person who has spent all day outside in the hot sun. But what if we view those regular conversations as mini-milestone? What if we see them as opportunities to experience a happy moment?  What if we take that to a higher level and put forth the energy that comes with, say, opening a present under the Christmas tree or receiving a letter from a long lost friend? Doing that, I believe, would add positive spice to our communication efforts.

No comments: