Monday, August 12, 2019

So Much Beauty!

Over the past year I have had the good fortunate of doing a great deal of traveling. Abroad, I have been to South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and the countries within the United Kingdom. Here in the Unites States, I have been to Alabama, Mississippi, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Hawaii, Delaware, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, Alaska, and, of course, my home state of Virginia . As I write this, I confess I am in no mood to even look at another suitcase, never mind trying to fill one with a bunch of clothes and toiletries. Still, it has been fun and a genuine privilege to see so much beyond my backyard.

My one big take-away from all of what I have seen has been how much beauty there is in our country and in the world. One can argue that one state is more beautiful than another or that one country is more picturesque. But there can little disagreement in the fact that within each boundary much beauty resides. How lucky are we to have the opportunity to enjoy it! It reminds me of Studs Terkel's classic, "Working," and many of his other oral histories. His works remind are a profound reminder that all of us, particularly non-celebrities and non-public folks - have a story tell and the ability to tell it in a heartfelt, straightforward and even poetic way.

Despite our missteps and verbal and writing imperfections, I see much beauty in so many of our communication efforts. We seek to be understood, to be heard, reach-out, connect with others. That is a very good thing. I understand the problem in that reality is often found in what motivate the efforts of some and how they may go about executing their outreach. While that is no small thing, it does not negate what drives all of us every time we pound away on a key board, take to pen, pick up a cell phone, or approach another. There is much beauty in the act of communicating even taking into account the possible negative aspects of it. I treasure that about communication.    

No comments: