Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Communication Research

In the world of research, there are primarily two methods: qualitative and quantitative. There are a number of differences between the two as any scholar or researcher can attest. From my perspective, I characterize one important difference as being the former attempts to showcase a topic from a more human interest element angle while the latter collects and analyzes statistics in order to draw conclusions about a particular issue. Both methods have considerable strengths and both, if done well, can provide deep insight into important issues. While any good scholar may have their own personal preference as to which method they prefer, when attempting to conduct research, more often than not, they acknowledge it should be the research topic itself that determines the method to be used rather than one's own personal preference. For instance, a topic that might better lend itself to a qualitative approach might revolve around a day in the life of a medical intern working in an emergency room. A topic lending itself more to a quantitative approach might be an analysis of the success or retention rate of medical interns who work in that same emergency room.

As far as my own preference goes, I definitely fall into the qualitative research camp. Perhaps it goes back to my own background in journalism, but I have always viewed people - all people - as having important stories to tell as well as being objects from which we can all learn. Whether someone is old or young, rich or poor, articulate or not, they possess perspective and a level of experience from which to draw and even share. I may not agree with their view of the world, nor may my experiences be the same as theirs. Still, I firmly believe there is not anyone from which I cannot learn something. The trick is to create a setting in which they can tell their story and then develop the skills that help them feel comfortable enough to share.

Both methods lend themselves nicely to communication research. And, interestingly, both methods require researchers to exhibit good communication skills in order to collect important data. Several months ago I devoted one of my entries to the comprehensive exams that are part of my doctoral program. As of this writing I am still trying to work my way through them. With luck, it will all have a happy ending by the end of January. Assuming I am able to jump this important hurdle, then I will move onto my dissertation. In it, I will pursue my topic of research following a qualitative research method. My topic pertains to organizational communication. My intent is to identify people who have dynamic stories to tell of the challenges of maintaining a viable connection with others with whom they work.

No comments: