Thursday, January 21, 2010

A New Class

I have mentioned before that I teach a public relations class to undergraduates on a part-time basis. It is always fun and stimulating even though I may not always do as well as I should or would prefer. Still, there are few things better in the world than the opportunity to connect with 35-45 prospective professional communicators and give them not only a glimpse of the profession they are considering but a sense of just vital it it to their own personal lives, to society and to our world. As always, my hope and plan this semester is to do justice to the profession and to the aspirations of the students. This semester's class had its first meeting yesterday. The meeting itself was straight forward enough as mainly we took care of housekeeping stuff ranging from going over the roster to reviewing the syllabus. As is the case in most first-time encounters, there was very little interaction. If things go well, however, that will change and change soon.

I tip my hat to everyone who is considering a career in some aspect of communication. As a profession and skill, there is none more fundamental or important. Communicators serve as ties that bind all of us to our families, friends, information and surroundings. They help us understand what is going on around us, help us make reasonable choices, and help us articulate messages we might want to share with others. In essence, they help give all of us a voice as well as ears and an appreciation that you need both in order to communicate effectively.

If at the end of this semester I can drive home to the students those key points, then in large measure I will consider my efforts to be successful. As it is with driving a car, caring for another person or dealing with an injury, to cite a few examples, communication is not one of those activities that should be taken lightly. But don't just take my word for it. Try going a day or two without it or doing it badly and see how quickly everything turns sour.

No comments: