Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Evolving Scholarship

Over three months ago I wrote of my current academic pursuit toward a doctorate. In addition to the usual challenges of the classes I was taking at the time, I was beginning to prepare for the comprehensive exams that represent the final hurdle before one is formally allowed to begin working on their dissertation. In the communication program in which I am currently enrolled, the comps are divided into two parts: written and oral. I took the written part just prior to Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, my answers to some of the questions were not deemed to be strong enough, so before moving onto the oral part, I was instructed to redo some of my answers.

I completed those re-dos in mid-January. The committee of scholars who were assessing me gave my responses a passing mark though even here they considered what I had given them to be a bit unclear and weak. Still, I was finally able to move onto the orals which I took just a few days ago. I am glad to report that I passed them and am now finally able to tackle the final hurdle toward earning a PhD: the dissertation. I will talk more about this in future entries but at the moment I want to make a few comments about these comps. For me, they were a major challenge. At times it was very discouraging and even disheartening. There were even one or two moments when I was close to throwing in the towel. One reason I didn't was because of my comps committee. Yes, they were tough and, yes, at times they seemed very demanding. But, in retrospect, these characteristics turned out to be good things. Plus, the committee members were also incredibly supportive, encouraging, fair and patient. As I begin the dissertation phase of this effort, I walk away from this experience thinking how lucky I was to have them as a committee.

As we move forward in life and, hopefully, do what we can to keep improving, there remains plenty of times when it feels like we take one step forward and two steps back. At least, that is the case with me on so many levels and has been for as long as I can remember. Even though it is a cliche, so much of life for all of us - I believe - is to keep plugging away and not give the disappointments and setbacks we experience so much power that they prevent us from pursuing our dreams and seeking to fulfill our ambitions. I have come to learn that self-improvement, whether it is in communication, parenting, marriage, education or any other area, is not easy. But, boy, the feelings that come with even minor successes are wonderful and so worth the effort.

No comments: