Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Days

Growing up, there seemed to be few things that were more exciting for my friends and I than having a snow day. Snow would fall, school would be closed, and a day of building snow forts, making snow angels, throwing snow balls and drinking tons of hot chocolate would be before us. Was there anything better than that? I think not. Now I am much older and other than enjoying a good cup of hot chocolate, I do not find myself engaging in those other carefree activities any more. Instead, snow falls, school is closed, and I have the challenge of doing tons of shoveling, scraping off windows, clearing drive ways and sidewalks, warming up cars, and driving over ice patches.

As I write this our area here in Virginia has been hit with two major snow storms in the past week. My university has been closed and my only two significant ventures outdoors have been runs to local grocery stores. And not once have I noticed any kids outdoors playing in the snow and being silly. Not one snow man. Not one snow fort. No sledding down any hills, big or small. Maybe playing in the snow is like communication in that is has evolved though not necessarily in a positive way. If that's true, then it's too bad. Having fun on snow days is different than it used to be. The same goes for communicating with others. People do not seem to be talking over fences to neighbors nearly as much as they used. Instead, they text and email and twitter each other.

I confess my attitude toward snow days is not what it used to be. It used to be the mere thought of it made me very happy. Nowadays, I find myself hoping it does not happen. At one time they used to be fun. Now, they means work. Does this run parallel with communication? I'm not so sure but I do not think so. Hopefully it won't ever be the case. After all, I can live without snow days but can not live without communicating with others, nor would I want to. Still, my attitude toward both has and is changing. I, for one, need to keep doing what I can to keep my attitude on the positive side of the tracks. After all, emaile and other forms of social communication can be fun.

No comments: