Thursday, October 21, 2010

Crossing Guards

I tip my hat to crossing guards. Recently, I had occasion to be stopped at an intersection. Kids on their way to school were walking from one corner to the next. Lined up at each intersection were a string of cars driven by drivers who were probably on their way to work. A not untypical weekday morning in America. And literally in the center of it was a crossing guard; a tall woman in her crossing guard uniform. Her tools consisted of a whistle, which she wore round her neck, and a trusty baton that she used as a pointer to let which car or group of school children know who could go next and, perhaps most importantly, in which direction. Also, she wore a broad smile that certainly reassured me and perhaps others that all was under control and all of us were going to get where we were going safely and on-time.

One thing I admired about this particular crossing guard - and I am sure this holds true for many others - was her communication skills. I marveled at how well she seemed to juggle her many clients at the same time in a friendly, yet purposeful manner. Drivers waved at her while passing through and a few children even stopped on their way from one corner to the next to whisper something to her or, in one case, give her a hug. Even though I have been in the communication business for nearly 40 years and have had more ups and downs than I care to remember, watching that crossing guard in action, I could not help but think that after all this time, I want to be as good of a communicator as that person.

Granted, my time at this intersection in the presence of this crossing guard lasted only a few minutes. I have to assume there are days when things do not always go so smoothly or that her clients - children and drivers - are not always as cooperative and easy going as they were at that time. But I also assume that when those moments or days do occur, she is able to handle them just as well simply because of the credibility she has achieved with her public. Communication is about long-term competence and consistency rather than a one-time shining or flashy moment. Any one can toss a dart and hit the center of the target. But to do that consistently or even come close with high regularity is the mark of a solid professional and effective communicator. That crossing guard was a reminder to me of how beneficial good communication is to any situation and what a pleasure it is to see someone who does it well in-action.

No comments: