Friday, May 25, 2012

Changing Course

What seems like a 100 years ago, but in reality is "only" 40, I graduated from college with a degree in journalism. It was my plan to pursue a career  in newspapers an an intrepid reporter. After working for four years on the college newspaper, I figured I was ready. Over the next several years I worked for newspapers in Tennessee and Maryland. At about the three-year mark, I began having doubts as to whether I really wanted to stay in the newspaper game. Shortly after that I made the decision I did not. By year four I was working in higher education as a public relations practitioner. It was a change, though not all that dramatic, that I would never have predicted I would make. But I did.

I thought back to that time in my life recently while attending the commencement program of the university where I currently work. The university's class of 2012 numbered over 7,700, the majority of whom received their undergraduate degrees. It was fun watching them celebrate their well-earned achievement. I could not help wonder, however, how many of them will end up doing what I did: swtich careers? After some time working in what they are certain is their life's calling, how many of those members of the class of 2012 will change careers?  My guess is the number will be pretty high. And when they do, those men and women  will be joining a very large family of career changers.

I think of a woman I know who worked in career counseling but now oversees, along with her husband, an independent film comany specializing in animation. Then there is another friend who was an admissions officer for a community college, but now charters boats for people wishing to sail around the Chesapeake Bay. Life is nothing if not a series of endless and fascinating changes. I, for one, have nothing but the highest hopes for all members of the class of 2012. We need their energy, creativity, idealism and ambition. I only hope the lessons they learned in communication, no matter their field of study, are part of the foundation on which they will be building.

No comments: