Saturday, June 22, 2013

The "R" Word

With increasing frequency these past few months I have been using the "r" word. And people around me have been using it, too, as it applies to me. And even though, lately, it has become a regular part of my daily conversation, I am still trying to come to grips with it. I speak of retirement, the state of retiring from one's occupation, business or office (according to the American Heritage College dictionary). In less than ten days from this writing, I will be entering into this next phase of life following 45 years of working in the communication profession. I do so with positive feelings, a little trepidation and more than a few questions. 

When I am officially retired, does that officially make me "a grumpy old man," or is that something else I now have to work toward? Will I start yelling at neighborhoods kids to "get that ball off my yard!" Am I going to start hankering to take greater advantage of the weekly blue plate special at the local County Buffet?  I admit to having mixed feelings about each of those scenarios. Ideally, I like to think I will keep the bounce in my step, enjoy connecting with friends, and maintain an open mind about all that goes on in the world even when I do not understand or appreciate it as much as I should.

One thing for sure is I will continue to focus on the world of communication in trying to be better at it and help promote the importance of it to others. I will continue with this blog, for instance, as well as maintain a part-time teaching schedule. And, as best I can, I will continue to write in the hope of having more books published in the coming months and years. Retirement may very well be a state of mind, but it is also one more challenge for all who - like me- are approaching it. While I hope to not be grumpy, I do plan to carry the banner of communication and be an advocate for the vital role it plays in helping all of us navigate whatever challenges in life we might currently be facing.

No comments: