Friday, April 4, 2014

Banana Peels

Just as communication - with the possible exception of breathing - is the most prevalent thing on the planet, it stands to reason that there are many barriers that impede our ability to send out and receive signals or messages. These barriers or roadblocks range from the competition of other messages or communication efforts and the bias or attitude of an audience to the timing of a message and how understandable a message is. These are real and tangible hurdles that can and do get in the way of our efforts to connect with others and establish some type of sustained link. But there is another hurdle - a big one - that gets in the way, too. Banana peels.


Let me first say I have never actually seen someone in-person slip on a banana peel. I have, of course, seen it happen in movies and cartoons, but not once in all my years have I seen it up close and personal. I suspect the same is true for most everyone else. Nevertheless, in terms of things many of dread happening to us, it is slipping on a banana peel that ranks close if not at the top of our lists. In speaking of this, I am not talking about this kind of mishap in a realistic sense. Instead, I mean it metaphorically. By slipping on a banana peel, I refer to embarrassing ourselves or looking foolish in front of others.


For myself, it seems hardly a day passes when I wish this will not happen to me. Such a concern or, at best, fear can really get in the way of communicating effectively. We want to say something but instead stifle ourselves for fear we may not say it properly and therefore look bad to those around us. No question this can be a problem, particularly since people at times can be quite judgmental and unfairly critical. Some fears, however, are meant to be faced. A banana peel is one of them. Several ways to do this include being prepared, knowing your audience, believing in yourself, and knowing  your concern is shared by many. You are not alone.    







No comments: