Monday, April 14, 2014

People Watching

I had occasion recently to spend time at a busy shopping mall. While there, I was able to return to one of my favorite past times: people watch. It has been longer than I care to admit that I have taken time to sit and watch those around me scurry about me. I sat in silence watching what I estimate to be over a hundred men and women of all ages pass by. Some seemed to be in a hurry. Some were not. Some were deep in conversation with their companions. Many were involved in conversations on their cell phones. Others were focused on items in various store windows while others doing their best not to drop any of the shopping bags they were carrying. All, in their own way, were busy and none, to my delight, seemed to take note of me.


I saw people laughing, crying, arguing and involved in intense discussion. Others seemed to be enjoying the pleasure of their own company while others were having fun with those they were with. It was all very much a mixed bag. It was exactly that, of course, that made this time of people watching a particular success. People being people. What is more fascinating than that? The quick answer is "nothing." But if anything could give such an answer a run for its money, it would be the stories behind each of those people. For instance, what led each of them to being in the frame of mind they were in at that moment? 


Given the opportunity, I have no doubt each of the persons I observed could and would a tale of interest about themselves: their hopes, dreams, fears, concerns, puzzlements, blessings, regrets and sources of pride. Within all of us is a communique waiting to be let out. This is driven by a basic need we share of wanting to connect and ultimately be accepted by others. Each of us has a voice to be heard. One of the primary functions of those better trained in the art of communication is to help ensure people are able to do just that.

No comments: