Sunday, February 1, 2015

Jumping Rope

Over the years, when it comes to jumping rope, I always thought the main two groups of people who did that were little girls and boxers. Even though I am neither, I have just recently started giving this activity a try. The good news is I am quickly learning that it is a great form of exercise. The not-so-good news is I am particularly proficient at it. In fact, I am pretty bad. My biggest challenge is establishing and then maintaining a rhythm to the actual rope jumping. Never mind doing it for a sustained period of time. First comes the jump and then then the duration. Even though I do not see myself ever becoming as skilled as little girls or boxers, hopefully I will eventually become moderately proficient at it.


Right now, my rope jumping has a lot of stops and starts. I jump the rope for a few times and then it hits against my feet and I have stop start all over again. Such a dynamic is not all that different from communication. We talk with others and in doing so experience many stops and starts. The other person asks questions. They inject their own comments. Outside noise interrupts the flow of our exchange. Or even get distracted and with little warning change topics. It is no wonder - much like jumping rope - communication is one of those activities that requires lots of practice, patience and commitment.


I must say the more I try jumping rope the more impressed I am becoming with folks who do it very well. There are those at the gym I go to who are quite wonderful at it. I want to be like them. I also want to become like those who seem to engage with others with few stops and starts; or, at the least, who do not seem to be knocked off balance when their interactions are interrupted. Communication, much like jumping rope, has its own rhythm. But that does not happen all by itself. The two, I am convinced, require much practice. Yes,, it is hard work, but, boy, the pay off is worth the considerable effort.       

No comments: