Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Good Neighbors

We are lucky where we live cause we have what I would term "good neighbors." They are quiet, keep their yard in presentable fashion, are friendly, are not particularly needy, and are happy to help those times when we need a favor. (As I write this, I am hopeful they view us in the same way we view them.) There are others that live around us, too, and they also are nice. But we do not know them as well as Cindy and David. These neighbors make a big difference in the contentment we feel in living where we do. In other words, they have impact. If they were less then "good," then how my wife and I currently live our lives would no doubt be different.

I realize everyone has a different concept of what constitutes a "good neighbor." And that is fine. But whatever what one's defInition might be, this points to the reality that all of us make some sort of difference in the lives of others. This is true in the corporate world. All of us understand that businesses are in the business of making money. They are driven by profit. Interestingly, many of us non-corporate entities dance to that tune as well. We, too, strive to make profit in order to pay our own bills and live lives of relative comfort. Another commonality we share revolves around the concept of "good neighbor."

For myself, I feel so much better about various businesses I use if I view them as wanting to do more than simply make money. For instance, the dry cleaning shop I use helps support a local junior league soccer team. That strikes me as being a good neighbor to our community. Their actions make me feel better about spending my money with them. Their actions demonstrate a desire on their part to make their neighborhood a better place. This is a big reason why I like having David and Cindy as our neighbors. Their actions, as well as those of my dry cleaners, communicate a message I like. It represents a most effective form of public relations.

No comments: