Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Learning to Read

As we know, there are many ways to communicate. This imperfect blog site of mine is one. But much more popular and practiced includes such forms as talking, body language, writing and even listening. Another that was recently reinforced to me by my five-year-old granddaughter is reading. This bundle of smiles is currently learning how to read. As great as that is, what is just as fun is the fact she is enjoying it. It is a challenge, of course, but one that represents a step forward, an expansion  or intellectual growth spurt. A good thing. Without even articulating it, my granddaughter recognizes this. Good for her.

As is the case for many kids her age, my granddaughter bubbles over with curiosity and wonder. This new venture called reading represents an opportunity to satisfy those key elements of her persona. Also, reading is a giant step toward greater self sufficiency or independence. If one can read, then they do not need others as much to explain things or direct how they should do them. What any self-respecting five-year-old would not want that kind of freedom? Bottom line: being able to read is a good thing. (Have I said that already?) Does any one doubt that having this skill does not make their life better? Even my granddaughter recognizes this.

Having said, to this day I continue to be surprised when I hear people say they either do not enjoy reading or have trouble finding the time for it. Perhaps this is my own bias talking, but hearing that creates doubt in that person's intellectual prowess. Either way, it suggests a lack of interest in collecting new information that is necessary to ensure one's one mental growth and need to remain enlightened. The act of reading challenges our ability to comprehend. This, like reading itself, is a positive element when it comes to self-sufficiency. For my granddaughter and everyone else, I wish years of reading pleasure. It is a great communication tool.

No comments: