Thursday, August 9, 2018

Book Signing

One of the great things about a new experience is that it can be quite positive. I would had one this week. It was my first book signing. Earlier this summer my first children's book, "A Hilltop in Jymbob." As part of an effort to promote it, a book signing was arranged at a small but cozy venue in Brooklyn called Pinkyzplace. Going there, I was not sure what to expect, particularly since it was being held on a sunny, week-day afternoon. Would any one even be there? As it turned out, two kids, one accompanied by his grandparents and the other by her mother, were on-hand. Granted, not the biggest of turn-outs. Nevertheless, I was happy to have any one there.

The actual reading went well enough. The little girl in attendance was very attentive. The little boy, on the other hand, seemed more fascinated by a transformer-type truck than he did my book. (But in fairness to me, the truck was pretty cool.) At the conclusion of the reading, the girl's Mom was nice enough to purchase a copy of my book. That aside, what my main take-away from this experience? It is this: If a person is going to try and sell a something, such as a product or an idea, it is not enough to sell the actual item. Their first priority must be to, in a sense, sell themselves. Potential buyers or supporters are not going to support what is being sold unless they first believe in the seller.

This is what makes the act of communication so personal. Each time we reach out to another, we are putting ourselves on the line. "Believe in me." "Take a chance on me." These are the underlying and not-so-subtle messages of our pitch. Those on the receiving are far more likely to hitch their wagon to another person than they are a concept or some sort of thing. This is why, at my book reading, I tried hard to make those folks who attended feel welcomed and appreciated for taking the time to be with me. As good as whatever it is any of us might be promoting, the reality is rarely does it sell itself. Behind it must be a personable person.


    

No comments: