Sunday, September 8, 2019

Communicating in Retirement

I begin this entry with a bold statement: It is great having friends. One, I do not believe, has to have a lot of friends in order to live a full life with meaningful and fulfilling social interactions. Such encounters round-out the times we devote to family and the professional side of our lives. For myself, this is especially true as I continue to immerse myself in the world of retirement. The professional side of my life is now history. Besides no longer having to put on a tie and coat on anything even close to a regular basis, retirement has made a dramatic change in my interactions with others. When working, I interacted with others whether I wanted to or not. Now, as a retiree, interactions mainly have to be created.

Initiating encounters is a communication challenge that is different than walking into an office full of co-workers where everyone is interacting with each other non-stop. Communicating from the aspect of being retired requires a certain level of effort that is not needed when employed. Employees have little-to-no choice about engaging with others. On the other hand, retirees have to make a "move" or the odds are any encounters with others will simply not happen. Thus, one difference between the two is the mind-set. Communicating with others as a retiree is largely a willful act. It is proactive. As an employee, it is much more reactive.

Nowadays I find myself planning out my connecting with others. To leave encountering with friends to-chance is too much of a long shot, particularly because most of the friends that I see regularly are retired as well. They, too, are adjusting to their new lifestyles. This is a challenge that all of us are facing together. For me, I do not want to be retired without them. This is because, from my perspective, the last thing I want is to view life only through my eyes. And if it means initiating my interactions with others, then so be it.   


.

No comments: