Sunday, September 15, 2019

The Keyboard

It was in high school when I first began using a type writer. To this day, nearly 55 years later, I distinctly remember sitting near the back of the class in the school's typing class and slowly begin gaining a workable understanding of this contraption. I hesitate to use the word "master." The typing class was not mandatory but I remember thinking that learning this skill might prove to be of use some day. (Even at that early age I got lucky in the decision-making department.) The typewriters we used Royals, an effective-enough machine though I always found the keys to be too heavy. Eventually, the Underwood typewriter became my writing tool of choice.

Shortly after signing up for the typing class, I began writing for the my high school newspaper. My "beat" was sports. It was then that writing machines became a regular part of my life. Fast forward to the present as I sit here at the keyboard of my home computer, it is a rare day when I do not spend at least part of my time doing what I am doing now. (I am happy to note that computer keys are even lighter to the touch than those of the Underwood.) Whether it is emails to friends, this blog or working on various manuscripts, the keyboard remains a constant part of my life. I like to think it has been a good relationship.

With the advent of the "delete" button, today's keyboards are so much more user-friendly. Thank goodness. Despite my typing proficiency, my typing mistakes remain high. Still, banging away at the keyboard remains, to me, a good feeling. I see writing as a very helpful way of communicating whatever thoughts I have. The keyboard is the vehicle on which I make that ride most every day. (This is in no-way to suggest all my thoughts are golden, but at least, generally, they are understandable.) The point here to this entry is to give a shout-out to the keyboard, perhaps the unsung hero in the evolution of writing devices.       

No comments: