Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Golf

I do not play golf, unless you count miniature golf . If you do then, yes, I am a golfer. Otherwise, even though I have played a few times in my life, to label me a golfer would be like saying I am a rodeo star because I sat on a mechanical bull once at some bar. My point here is that I am not a golfer. In fact, I would strongly suggest if you ever see me with a driver in my hand, then do all you can to protect the windows in your home or cars. "Nuff said. I share this tidbit about myself to say that even though I do not play this popular sport, I do believe there is much to learn from it when it comes to communication.

Golf is a game of deliberation. One does not rush into things when on the links. Each shot, regardless of whether it is a drive, putt or chip shot, is made only after much thought and contemplation. In fact, the better the golfer the greater amount of time the player spends on lining up their shot before actually taking it. As a result, their shots are purposeful and carefully planned. Granted, the actual shot may not turn out all that well, but nevertheless they are not carried out with anything even close to a "knee-jerk" or "shoot-from-the-hip" reaction. For better or worse, there is reasoned logic behind each stroke.

In interactions with others, it is not unusual for folks to spout out the first thought that comes to mind without giving all that much thought as to its accuracy, logic, or how it will be received by the person on the receiving end. Often, all of us say what we say either because it feels good or we believe it is what the other person wants to hear. Is it any wonder, then, that so much of our conversations consist of our explaining what we meant or rephrasing our original comments? Perhaps we should try and be more life serious or professional golfers and actually think before we speak. It might improve our ability to make connections that last and that are positive.    

No comments: